Evacuate Immediately - Fire
Dinner Plain, Falls Creek, Hotham Heights
1578031326000Yesterday at 5:02 PM
It is strongly recommended that you Evacuate Now
if you are located in Dinner Plain, Falls Creek, Hotham Heights
- There are multiple bushfires burning in the Abbeyard area that are not yet under control
- Victoria Police are supporting evacuations in the area. However you can not rely on emergency services to evacuate you.
- Fire weather on Saturday is predicted to be extreme creating fire storm conditions which may not be survivable.
If you are located in Dinner Plain, Falls Creek and Hotham Heights it is strongly recommended that you evacuate now and move to a safer location away from the fire.
What you should do:
This warning is current to 10 am tomorrow 4th January 2020 . Evacuation after this time is considered life threatening. After 10 am 4th January 2020 it may be too late to leave. Shelter indoors when the fire arrives - protect yourself from the radiant heat.
- When you leave remember to
take your pets,
mobile phone and charger.
- If you are away from home; do
- If you choose to stay, emergency services may not be
able to help you.
Travel to a safer location. Options include:
- A relief centre is open at Wangaratta Performing Arts Centre, Ovens St Wangaratta.
- The home of family or friends
away from the warning area.
- If you evacuate to a family
or friend's house you should register with Red Cross at Register.Find.Reunite https://register.redcross.org.au or by calling 1800 727 077 to let people know you are safe. Use Find to look for people you know may be affected by an emergency.
Residents in Dinner Plain, Hotham Heights should leave via Great Alpine Road and head towards Wangaratta. Residents in Falls Creek should leave via Bogong High Plains road to the Kiewa Valley Highway.
In the car:
- If you are travelling, do not enter the area. U-turn to safety.
- Slow down and turn on your headlights. Smoke will make it
difficult to see.
If you are unable to leave you should seek shelter inside:
- Close all exterior doors,
windows and vents. Turn off cooling systems.
- Shelter in a room that has a
door and or a window to the outside. It is critical to keep an eye on what is
happening with the fire.
Impacts in your area:
- The following road is closed: Great Alpine Road between Tawonga Gap Road Germantown and Dry Hill Road, Omeo. Residents between Germantown and Harrietville will continue to have access to the immediate area to tend to livestock.
This message was issued by Forest Fire Management Victoria
The next update is expected
by 04/01/2020 11:10 am or as the situation changes.
- If you need medical advice for burns or exposure to smoke, seek medical advice or call Nurse on Call on 1300 606 024.
- Anyone experiencing wheezing, chest tightness and difficulty breathing should call Triple Zero (000).
If you can see or smell smoke, please note:
- Smoke can affect people's health.
- People with pre-existing health problems, heart or lung
conditions (including asthma), children, pregnant women and older people are
more sensitive to the effects of breathing in smoke.
- People with existing heart or lung conditions (including
asthma) should follow the treatment plan advised by the doctor.
Use multiple sources to stay informed:
The following services can
help you, or someone you know, access information during an emergency.
- To access this information in other languages call the Translating
and Interpreting Service on 131
450 (freecall) and ask them to call VicEmergency Hotline.
- If you are deaf, hard of
hearing, or have a speech/communication impairment contact National
Relay Service on 1800 555 677
and ask them to call the VicEmergency Hotline.